Monday 17 January 2011

New year,new wings,old plans

Happy new year for everyone,hopefully a better than the last one,obviously,moneywise too:)I disappeared little bit,december was just incredibly busy,then I went home(after 15 months) for 2,5 weeks for Christmas,which was just great.So I came back now,ready for action:)Carry on with all of my 3 jobs(1 full-time,2 part-time,),I know it`s sounds crazy,but in my case that`s the only way to fund my flight training.
Flying.Still cooking my brain in the ATPL theory`s sauce:).I think the deeper you go in the study material the more enjoy it,that`s my experience.Finished off maps and charts,I memorized and understood everything apart from the grid navigation.I`ve got a rough idea how it works,but in the progress test I constantly failed a few questions,beacuse my heading was 180 degrees different,which could cause some problems in the real life flying if you miss that...Grid navigation is all about overlaying a map with a grid of lines,which are indicating gyro north,the direction to which you align the direction indicator,so you can just fly the gyro heading,which is extremely useful when overflying the poles,due the constant change of true heading and variation.
Then went onto Communications,that`s kinda stuff I like.A basic understanding of how radio waves are genarated(need an oscillating electrical current and an aerial),calculating frequency and wavelength.Did anyone know that the speed of light is 162000 nautical miles per second?That`s cracking:)Probably faster then my junky road bike...Then also familiarisation with the cockpit equipment in terms of communications,and mentioning the distress frequencies(hopefully I won`t need to use them).Then a progress test.Easily done.The first time,that I can say that.
The next one was back to nav again,calculating temperatures(TAT and SAT),heights and air density.I was lucky enough to be introduced to the famous CRP-5 flight computer:)I met with the little brother before during my PPL course,the CRP-1.This how the Big Bro looks like:

It`s a good one isn`t it?The eqipment you need for most of the nav. calculations,for example,rate of descent,air speed,machnumber,fuel calculations,converting nautical miles into kilometres or feet or statue miles.And a lot more.It took a while for me to understand the  use of CRP-1,so I was more confident with this one.
At the moment I`m working on the first part of Meteorology.Which it`s never been my favourite,and I can guess already,it won`t become:)
I`m still waiting for reply from Eihad Airways,I applied in september for their Etihad International Cadet Programme.Which is still one of those few cadet programmes in the world today,which pay all your training costs,even get paid during the training,then sign a  72 months contract with the company and start your job on the line,in the right-hand seat of a big shiny jet!So they didn`t get back to the applicants yet.There are lot more  rumours on the PPRune(http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/428263-etihad-international-cadet-programme.html),but no one knows what`s happening...
And I also plan to apply for the Atlantic Airlines Cadetship Scheme(http://www.multiflight.com/flight-training-centre/cadet-scheme.php) in the next few weeks.The UK`s only existing fully funded scholarship at the moment(50 percent of the initial traing costs paid back by the pilot later on but I still find that a good deal).The requirements are:a class medical 1,be between the age of 18-26,having logged 150 flying hours total and night rating(which I don`t have,but the website says it`s not necessery for the right applicant),a PPL,a driving licence(I haven`t got one yet).I might be just one of those few guys in the world at age of 25ish who can legally fly an aeroplane,but can`t drive a car...:)But I started work on it anyway,will obtain it soon.
I was going to do my night rating in Inverness in February,but it seems to be I can`t because of I`ll be off home again for week in March(got some leftover holidays to be used by the end of March),so the money will  be needed for that.
Most people say I suppose to do my hour building during the ATPL theory,I opted to do it probably in the States where aircraft rental is much cheaper.At moment I don`t have any particular chosen flight school,but these guys seem to be offering a fair price with a fair deal:
http://www.flyeasa.com/I`m looking forward to do that in next year probably in May.
Right,that` s time to sleep now,I had a tough football game today(spiced with some hangover),I feel a bit tired.Went out last night,have been completely hammered:)Had some fun with other hungarian friends in this newly-discovered pub on George street,called Alexander Graham Bell.What a great pub...

By the way,we`ve never won this football competition,what I mentioned in the previous post,actually,we couldn`t even win a game,and only scored four(3 was mine):)The A-Team will try again in next year...

One more thing.I went home for holiday after a long time and having just realized,what a brilliant country I am from,Hungary.All I can say this place is just getting better day by day,maybe because I left:)I`m sure I`ll return home on one day,for good.If you never heard of that place there are two links here for you  to watch.
Keep you posted.

One:




Two:



No comments:

Post a Comment